One hitters are some of the most affordable and versatile pipes on the market. But what are they and how do they work? Below we’re breaking down everything you need to know about what one hitter weed pipes are and how to use them.
What is a one-hitter weed pipe?
A one-hitter, sometimes referred to as a chillum, is a small pipe used for smoking weed discreetly. It’s designed to hold a very small amount of herb, usually enough for just one or two quick puffs, hence the name. More or less, they provide a quick and discreet way to smoke on the go. They’re both portable and easy to use, making them a popular choice for people who want to smoke on the go or just prefer smaller hits. They’re also great if you’re trying to ration your stash or utilize your shake.
What are one hitter cannabis pipes made from?
One hitters come in all different shapes and sizes and can be made from many different materials, including wood, ceramic, glass, stone, metals and even quartz. A one hitter glass pipe is usually the most popular choice thanks to the affordability, aesthetic appeal, and smooth smoking experience that doesn’t alter flavors.
Stainless steel, titanium and aluminum are also used for durability and sleek appearance, though they may alter the flavor of your smoke. Ceramic one-hitters are more fragile than glass, but they withstand heat really well and often come with really pretty designs. Wooden one hitters offer a rustic look, but they alter the flavors of your weed and require special care for use and cleaning to preserve their integrity. Finally, stone one hitters made from things like soapstone or quartz are the most expensive for their durability, ease of cleaning, and aesthetic appeal, but don’t alter flavors.
Types of one hitters
While all one-hitters offer the same experience, there are a few different versions that offer different effects.
- Straight Tube: The straight tube design is the most basic and common type of one-hitter. It consists of a straight cylindrical tube. On one end you have the mouthpiece, and you fill the other end with weed.
- Chillum: A chillum is a traditional one-hitter design that originated in India. It is a straight tube with a conical-shaped bowl on one end. Chillums are often used with hash and have a larger capacity than other one-hitters.
- Dugout: A dugout is a complete smoking kit that includes a one-hitter and a storage compartment. The one-hitter is usually designed to fit snugly into the dugout, which holds additional herb for convenient storage. You’ll take the straight tube and dip it into the weed storage compartment to fill it up and smoke it.
- Bat: Bat-style one-hitters are shaped like a miniature baseball bat. They often have a tapered mouthpiece end and a wider bowl end. This design is favored by some for its comfortable grip and unique appearance.
- Ceramic or Glass Taster: Taster-style one-hitters are typically made of ceramic or glass and have a wider, shallow bowl. They are designed to provide a quick taste of the herb’s flavor rather than a full smoking session.
- Twisty One-Hitter: Twisty one-hitters feature a helical or spiral design along the tube. This design allows for more surface area and cooling of the smoke, providing a smoother hit.
- Stealth or Discreet One-Hitters: These one-hitters are specifically designed to look like everyday objects such as cigarettes, pens, or keychains. They are made to be inconspicuous and discreet, allowing you to smoke without drawing attention.
How to use a one-hitter
One hitters are pretty straightforward and work in similar ways. Below we’re breaking down how to use one.
- Prepare your herb: Start by grinding your cannabis into a fine consistency. If you don’t have bud on hand, you can also use shake. Ensuring an even consistency helps promote even burning and airflow when you pack the bowl of the one-hitter.
- Load the bowl: Take the one-hitter and gently push the narrow end into the ground herb, twisting it slightly to gather the desired amount. Be careful not to pack the bowl too tightly, as it may restrict airflow.
- Spark it: Hold the one-hitter with the bowl end facing slightly upwards. Using a lighter, apply the flame to the herb in the bowl while inhaling slowly from the mouthpiece. Ensure the flame is in contact with your weed, allowing it to ignite.
- Take a hit: As your weed combusts, draw in slowly and steadily through the mouthpiece. This will pull the smoke into your mouth and lungs. Take a comfortable-sized hit that suits your preference.
- Exhale and clear the one-hitter: Once you have taken a hit, exhale the smoke. To clear the one-hitter and remove any remaining ash, gently tap it against a hard surface or blow through the mouthpiece.
- Repeat as desired: If you want to take additional hits, repeat the process by loading the bowl again and igniting the herb.
- Clean it after each use: After you finish using the one-hitter, make sure you clean it.. You can use a pipe cleaner, cotton swabs, or alcohol wipes to remove any residue or buildup.
Benefits of using a one hitter
Using a one hitter pipe is a great call if you need something portable and discreet. The best one hitter weed pipes have small, compact designs that makes them easy to carry around and use easily, quickly, and inconspicuously on the go. However, they’re also great for preserving your weed stores. Since they only hold a small amount of flower at a time, you get better portion control, which is great if you need to ration or if you prefer microdosing THC. As a side effect of the small hits, they’re also less smelly than other smoking methods, which is great if you’re really trying to dial in on discretion.
As one of the cheaper types of pipes on the market that only allow you to smoke small amounts of flower at a time, they’re also extremely cost effective. With smaller hits, you can stretch your supply and save money, and you can save money on more expensive bowls or bongs. They’re also much easier to clean than other methods, and all you really need is a good poker to clear them. A salt and isopropyl bath every so often will help clear out resin, so they’re ultimately pretty low maintenance.
How to clean a one-hitter
Routine maintenance and cleaning are essential for maintaining the performance and hygiene of a one-hitter. Regular cleaning not only helps maintain optimal airflow and flavor but also ensures a germ-free smoking experience.
You should always clean your one hitter after every use by gently tapping or blowing out any remaining ash or debris. For regular maintenance, use a pipe cleaner or cotton swab to remove residue from the inside of the one-hitter. After about a week of regular use, you’ll need to clean out the resin. Use a ziplock bag, isopropyl alcohol and salt and add your one hitter. Let it soak and then shake the bag. When your one hitter looks clean, rinse it with warm water and let it dry before you use it again.
The salt and iso method is perfect for most materials, but if you’re using wood, make sure to use mild cleaning solutions designed specifically for wood. You may need to use a soft bristle brush to scrub residue away, and take extra care to make sure the wood dries fully.
At the end of the day, one-hitters offer several advantages, including portability, discretion, efficient herb usage, quick and easy consumption, controlled dosage, reduced odor, and ease of cleaning. If you’ve ever been curious about using a one hitter, use this handy guide to find the perfect one hitter design for your needs, and enjoy smoking discreetly wherever you go.