Are you even a real stoner if you’ve never made pot brownies? The OG of edibles has been a staple in stoner culture for decades, and it’s pretty simple to make. If you’re timid in the kitchen we’re here to help. Here’s everything you need to know about how to make pot brownies.
Decarbing: The essential first step for any edible recipe
Before you bust out your whisk… decarb your weed! This essential step is a make it or break it when it comes to a fire batch of weed brownies, or any edible. Decarboxylation is a chemical reaction that occurs with either extreme heat or time. When cannabis is cured it’s partially decarbed, but it takes very high temperatures that are reached when smoking, vaping or baking for the non-psychoactive THCA to transform into the THC we all love. If you skip this step, your batch absolutely will not get you nearly as high.
How to decarb weed before making pot brownies
What you’ll need:
- Conventional oven
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Hand grinder
- 1 ounce of trim or shake
- Preheat your oven to 220°
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Use a hand-grinder to grind your cannabis buds (avoid grinding it to powder as this can result in more plant matter ending up in the finished product)
- Sprinkle your weed evenly across the parchment paper-lined baking tray
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the tray once you’ve reached the allotted baking time.
- Allow the decarbed buds to cool completely.
How to make cannabutter for your weed brownie recipe
Before you get super baked off a box of Betty Crocker Double Fudge, you’ve got to make some cannabutter. The easiest way to infuse brownies, or any other baked good, really, is with cannabutter. Making cannabutter is easy. A good rule of thumb is to use one ounce of trim or shake per pound (4 sticks) of butter. This will get your roughly 1 ½ cups of cannabutter, the perfect amount for a box of brownies.
What you’ll need:
- 1 ounce of decarbed cannabis
- 4 sticks (1 lb.) of butter
- Mason jar or glass container
- Heat ¼ cup of water and 4 sticks of butter in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Once the water and butter begin to mix and frothe, add your decarbed cannabis and stir to mix.
- Turn the burner down to low and allow the mixture to simmer. Butter burns very easily so keep your heat as low as possible while maintaining a simmer. You never want the mixture to boil, as this will burn up the terpenes in your weed and weaken your cannabutter potency.
- Let the mixture simmer on low for two to three hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Strain the mixture with a fine-mesh strainer or a cheesecloth, allowing the butter to drop into a mixing bowl or jug.
- Let the liquid cool to room temperature before draining away any excess water, storing in an airtight container and placing in the fridge.
How to make weed brownies
With your decarbed weed ready to go, it’s time to make your brownies. You have two options here: either make them using a store-bought brownie mix box or make them from scratch. We’re break down both methods below.
How to make pot brownies with box brownie mix
If this is your first time, keep it simple and grab a box of brownie mix. There are tons of choices out there: double fudge, supreme triple chunk, chewy, dark chocolate, Ghirardelli chocolate, salted caramel, and more. Typical box brownie recipes require just a few simple ingredients — water or milk (check out our swaps below to improve your recipe), eggs, and vegetable oil. For the purpose of easy infusion we’re going to replace the vegetable oil with our cannabutter. Snag your favorite brownie mix and necessary ingredients at the grocery store and head home. It’s time to get baked.
Follow the recipe on the back of the brownie box, but swap the vegetable oil for your cannabutter. Remove it from the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature before adding to the mix.
Simple swaps to make your box brownies next level
- Use (canna)butter instead of oil
- Use milk instead of water
- Add walnuts
- Add chocolate chips
- Add macadamia nuts
- Add an extra egg if you like the brownies cake-y
- Icing…. More icing
How to make pot brownies from scratch
So, we’re taking it up a notch. If you know your way around a kitchen, have experience making marijuana brownies from scratch, or are just super ballsy, give this recipe a go. A key factor in this recipe is making sure the ingredients are well mixed before adding more. Get ready to stir after every step. Your hand might be tired. If they taste like crap, at least they’ll still get you high (if your cannabutter is on point).
What you’ll need:
- 12 tablespoons of cannabutter
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350° and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On low heat, combine your cannabutter and ½ cup of semisweet chips, and slowly warm until melted. Allow to cool. You can also melt this mixture in a microwave safe bowl or in a glass bowl set above boiling water. Your choice.
- Pour mixture into mixing bowl and add cocoa powder. Stir well.
- Add regular sugar and brown sugar. Mix it up until smooth.
- Add eggs and stir for one minute straight.
- Add vanilla extract. Stir.
- Add flour and (you guessed it) stir, stir, stir.
- Stir some more.
- Pour mixture into your parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Check with toothpick. Remove from oven when the toothpick is slightly cakey, not wet.
- Cool before you cut and enjoy.
The best weed strains for pot brownies
When infusing foods, it’s best to choose a strain with at least 15% THC. Indica or sativa? That choice depends on what vibe you’re going for. Want to sink into the couch or deep clean it with a handheld vacuum? The choice is yours, my friends.
If you bake this Bay Area strain into your batch you might be couch-locked, but your head will still be clear. Known for a powerful punch and fruity flavor, Gelato is a good choice for anyone who wants to kick back and feel good. Grams go for around $25 at most dispensaries.
- Wedding Cake
One of the strongest strains on our list will bring some tang to your taste buds. At around $35 an eighth it won’t crush your baker’s budget but it will deliver a potent batch of pot brownies. Get ready for a relaxed vibe but beware: When you get the munchies, resist the urge to eat more pot brownies.
- Mendo Breath
Using this bud in your brownie batch will add hints of sweet vanilla and caramel. Yum. And, it’ll leave you really relaxed as it rids your body of any possible aches and pains. It’s a feel-good strain for sure. Typical price for an eighth is $45.
This energizing strain rings in at around 17% THC and lives up to its name with major tang. Herbal-piney flavor and a refreshing aroma are followed with an uplifting euphoric feeling that won’t make you feel cracked out. Get an eight for around $40.
Check out our other edible recipes: