Looking for an alternative to the familiar (and boring) marijuana brownies that are the most common form of marijuana edibles around? Pot cookies are a great choice, and they aren’t that much more difficult to make. They can also be as convenient and as potent as brownies and other edibles, and have many of the same benefits.
Before you go about breaking eggs and sifting flour, it would be helpful to know about decarboxylation. This is an essential process that is invaluable for getting the most out of cannabis intended for cooking. In fact, this process is useful for preparing any type of marijuana edible.
Decarboxylation basically involves heating up marijuana so that the cannabinoids contained in it are converted into a form that the body can use. In marijuana plants, cannabinoids exist in an acidic form called THCA. This substance is virtually ineffective when ingested orally. When heated to a temperature of 300°F however, it will lose a carbon dioxide molecule and turn into THC, which produces the range of effects typically associated with marijuana ingestion. Decarboxylation is therefore essential for getting the most out of your pot cookies.
Making Marijuana Butter
Before you begin making the cookies, you should first make the cannabis butter that will be used in the recipe. For this you will need two pots, one larger than the other. Fill the larger pot with water and place the second, smaller pot in it. In this smaller pot, place four sticks (or two cups) of butter. Place both pots on low heat and sprinkle about one ounce of ground marijuana into the butter, mixing it periodically so all the buds are covered. After simmering in low heat for two to three hours – all the while taking care not to burn it – the butter can then be strained and used in any recipe that calls for butter.
- 1/2 cup cannabis butter
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounce or 2 cups of chocolate chips
- First, preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, mix the cannabis butter, both types of sugar, and the egg.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the flour mixture to the cannabis butter mixture and continue to stir the mix by hand.
- Shape the dough lightly into balls about 1-inch around, and lay them down on a greased cookie sheet, ensuring that each cookie is at least two inches away from each other. Place the chocolate chips on top of each cookie.
- Finally, bake the cookies in the oven for ten to twelve minutes or until golden brown.
Before you begin chowing down on all those cookies, it might be a good idea to practice some restraint. Try eating just one cookie at first. With any luck, the effects will be apparent in as little as thirty minutes to an hour. If you feel comfortable with the effect, you may try another cookie.